Meaningful Use for Nurses:
Implications and Recommendations
Guidelines with Scoring Rubric
This assignment is designed to help students
· understand the implications for nurses, nursing, national health policy-making, patient outcomes, and population health associated with the collection and use of Meaningful Use core criteria.
Through this assignment, the student will demonstrate the following ability.
(CO 3) Examine the ethical/legal issues arising in NI practice while using, designing, managing, upgrading, and building information systems. (POs 4, 6)
Provide an overview of the Meaningful Use program and an analysis of the implications for nurses, nursing, national health policy, patient outcomes, and population health associated with the collection and use of Meaningful Use core criteria. Recommend additional core criteria not presently identified for Meaningful Use collection in Stages 1 or 2 (lists of criteria may be found at cms.gov) that you feel would be beneficial for nurses, nursing, monitoring population health, setting national health policies, and/or improvements in patient outcomes or population health, providing your evidence for your recommendations. If you feel that no additional criteria are necessary, provide your evidence-based rationale for your argument. Conclude with insights gained from this assignment. A minimum of three outside scholarly resources are required—texts may be cited but are NOT included among the minimum of three outside scholarly resources.
Preparing the paper
1. Required texts may be used as references, but a minimum of three sources must be from outside course readings.
2. All aspects of the paper must be in APA format as expressed in the 6th edition.
3. The paper (excluding the title page and reference page) is 5–7 pages in length.
4. Ideas and information from professional sources must be cited correctly.
5. Grammar, spelling, punctuation, and citations are consistent with formal academic writing.
|Introduction||55||15||Introduction establishes the purpose of the paper and names parts of the paper.|
|Overview of Meaningful Use||55||15||Provides an overview of the Meaningful Use program.|
|Analysis||65||20||Analyzes the implications of Meaningful Use core criteria.|
|Meaningful Use Recommendations||65||20||Provides evidence-based recommendations for the collection of additional criteria OR for why no additional criteria are felt to be necessary.|
|Conclusion||55||15||Concluding statements summarize the analysis and recommendations as well as the insights gained during the assignment.|
|APA Style||10||5||Text, title page, and reference page(s) are completely consistent with APA format.|
|Citations||10||5||Ideas and information from other sources are cited correctly.|
|Writing Mechanics||10||5||Rules of grammar, spelling, word usage, and punctuation are consistent with formal written work, and page restrictions are met.|