A former dot com company, Verbania, Inc., shut down in 2001 because of the Internet bubble burst. It is attempting to reinvent and launch itself once again. It is looking for a complete information technology (IT) solution that includes hardware, software, networking, and security, among other requirements. Verbania’s core product will be a social networking Web site and mobile application that rivals the big names that currently represent social media. It is attempting to find the best features and consolidate them into its product. The company is looking to establish its headquarters in the Silicon Valley region in California. The executives at Verbania are looking for your company to propose a solution that will endure future Internet trends.
The basic user requirements for the social networking solution must include but are not limited to the following:
- Creating an account and a profile
- Creating discussion forums and posting
- Search capability for people
- Gaming component
- Calendar component for reminders
- Instant messaging and Voice Over Internet protocol (VOIP)-type calling between friends
- Secure account and email feature
- Availability seven days a week
The basic company requirements for the social networking solution must include but are not limited to the following:
- Collect, store, back up, and mine user data to better understand users.
- Integrate collected data with customer relationship management (CRM) to improve business and customer support processes.
- Analyze user patterns, behavior, and generated traffic to present to advertisers.
Requested functionality for the social networking application includes the following:
- Account setup and log-in functionality
- Creating a profile
- Adding or removing friends
- Posting to a discussion area
Answer the following
The project team must analyze the New Requirements. This section will specify what the company will need in the area of solution elements, such as networking, Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP) and Power (PoE). Specifically, this section will answer the following questions (at a minimum):
- Which type of network topology would you recommend for the corporate backbone and the wired and wireless connections? Why do you think this would be the best choice?
- Which type of cabling would you recommend? Why do you think this would be the best choice?
- How will the network infrastructure accommodate remote access?
- What solution would you propose to integrate the social media site with a CRM solution?
- What security considerations are involved?
Collaborate and work with the network specialist on the team. Be sure to capture and document the decisions made in the appropriate section of the capstone project document.
Prepare 6–8 pages of content addressing the team’s system analysis of requirements defined in Section One.