1. Provide a detailed SWOT for (1) Colgate-Palmolive (the company) and (2) a SWOT for the ColgatePalmolive Toothbrush segment.
2. According to the case, what changes are occurring in the toothbrush category? Assess ColgatePalmolive’s competitive position.
3. How is the toothbrush market segmented? Compare consumer behavior between highly involved and less involved consumers for toothbrushes.
4. What are the arguments for launching Precision as (a) a niche product and (b) a mainstream brand? The objectives of this question are: (1), to emphasize the importance and marketing program implications of determining whether a new product represents a big breakthrough idea or a line extension, and (2), to consider the relative merits of emphasizing a corporate brand umbrella versus an individual brand name when launching a new product. Arguments should be provided for both (a) and (b).
5. What marketing recommendations would you make to Steinberg? Discuss and explain.