Acme Toys, Inc. is a leading toy manufacturer. As part of its expansion plan, it purchased a new building for its headquarters, which will house all the departments of the company. Apart from the usual departments, such as marketing, sales (with telemarketing capability), accounting, and IT, the building will also house the R&D, manufacturing, and distribution departments.
The company wants to set up a network to enable employees to communicate and share resources. The company requires workstations and server computers. The servers should provide support for:
- A multiuser environment
- Multiple processors
- Various types of applications
- High security
- High memory requirements
In addition, the network should be able to support high-level, multiuser applications that will run simultaneously. The profiles of employees range from a sales executive who is not computer savvy to IT professionals and people in the R&D department who are technology savvy. Due to the diverse user profiles, the company also needs to consider the ease of use of the OS.
The IT department is in the process of designing the processing requirements of computers. Although the entire company will be networked, a separate network is required for the R&D department because of security reasons. In addition, the manufacturing department plans to expand its network within the next six months by fifty percent.
As a member of the IT team, you need to recommend the best OSs for workstations and servers on the network. You need to consider the ease of use of various OSs based on user profiles. Your report must provide a rationale for the proposed OS and compatibility issues, if any, if you propose using multiple OSs.
Part 1â€”Identifying Network Requirements and OS Implementation
Using the South University Online library and the Internet, research various OSs.
Based on your research, create a report in a 3- to 4-page Microsoft Word document to complete the following tasks:
- Identify and describe in detail the requirements for Acme Toys Inc. Make sure that you include the different requirements for workstations and servers.
- Identify the requirements an OS and architecture implementation must address. Include details about hardware, software, security, memory, and different types of users. Discuss resource needs to be managed by the OS, architecture, distributed operated systems, whether there is a need for a GUI, and windowing.
- Support your responses with examples.
- Cite any sources in APA format.