- Practice close, active critical reading of a work of literary fiction
- Practice a range of diverse annotation tasks, guided by the handout
- Reflect on and evaluate the process of active, critical annotation in a thoughtfully composed, well-organized paragraph
- Apply MLA format standards where relevant
PART 1. ANNOTATION:
- Find a quiet, uninterrupted place to concentrate.
- Print, read and annotate the 1-page hard copy of the story, “Girl,” using the critical reading steps and strategies explained in the handout. You may find it easiest to print a hard copy of the handout, too.
- Use PEN only, not pencil.
- When your annotation is complete, scan it or take a careful, complete screen shot of it. Acceptable file formats in this case for uploading your annotation are .PDF, .JPEG, .JPG, .PNG.